Tuesday 25 August 2015

Quenya, Sindarin, what the heck is that endin?

Evening citizens of Middle Earth.
Gi Suilon!

Those of you who do read my blog or did 6 months ago when I posted regularly will most likely know that each post and title is based off of a particular fandom/quote/subject of interest. For instance 'Amatulya', my first post is elvish for 'welcome' and 'Start of something new' is the name of a high school musical song. Although you may have know this, what I haven't told you is the meanings behind my post beginnings and sign offs. I will now relay that information for hose intrigued!

Middle Earth as any literary fan will know, regardless of their person interests, is the name of the mythical world JRR Tolkien created for his infamous trilogy 'Lord of the Rings'. This being one of my oldest obsessions means that the next line, 'Gi Suilon' is translated to 'I greet you' from Sindarin which is a dialect of Elvish.

My sign off comes again from elvish (the Quenya dialect however instead of the Sindarin) and a classic quote from one of my favourite TV shows 'The 100'. 'Tenna enta lúmë' directly translates 'until that time'.

Hope this was interesting or at least educating (on how much of a Tolkien geek I truly am) for you reading and I will see you next week. Perhaps I will do a post regarding the new school year or even an august monthly favourites?! We'll see :-)

That's all until I next post so...
Tenna enta lúmë - May we meet again!

2 comments:

  1. Can you do the Harry Potter tag?

    http://thelifeofjades.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can most definitely do that Jade! The thing is there are lots of different versions so are there any specific questions you want me to answer? Or can you recommend a specific one per chance? Otherwise I'll just wing it 😄

      Delete